The Middle East Studies minor is extremely flexible to accommodate a student’s preferred path of study. Our courses come from a variety of disciplines, including:
- Art History
- Classics and Ancient Mediterranean Studies
- Comparative Literature
- Jewish Studies
- Religious Studies
Students are able to pick and choose courses to fit within their major or learn a completely different area of study. One student’s experience with the Middle East Studies minor may be completely different from another.
Required Courses (3 Credits)
Students are invited to pick one course from the list to build their foundational knowledge for the Middle East Studies minor.
- HIST/ARAB/RLST 165: Islamic States, Societies and Cultures c. 600 – 1500
- HIST/JST 181: Introduction to the Middle East
- HIST/RLST 471Y: Classical Islamic Civilization, 600 – 1258
- HIST/JST 472: The Ottoman Empire
- HIST/JST 473: The Contemporary Middle East
- RLST 107: Introduction to Islam
Additional Courses (15 Credits)
Students must select 15 credits, at least 6 of which must be at the 400-level, from the approved additional courses list.
NOTE: No more than 6 credits may come from a language study